Thursday, February 3, 2011

New Year’s Resolutions Revisited

Have you noticed? No one is saying “Happy New Year” anymore. Instead, we have settled into a daily pace that feels anything but new. For many of us, despite our resolution making, the New Year may seem suspiciously like the old year.

How about you? Have you kept your New Year’s resolutions? Are you writing daily, submitting your work, and keeping up with your reading? If not, consider this quote from coach Martha Beck:

“Think about your highest purpose in 2011. Set up your calendar to serve that end, and everything will run better.”

I do not worry about doing everything anymore. I know I cannot come close to succeeding at being Superwoman. But I do think carefully about how I spend my days. Still, after reading Beck’s quote, I knew I had work to do. I grabbed my calendar and colored pencils. I scheduled the activities I connect with my life’s purpose. I know that I have a better chance of finishing my book now that I have set aside time in my calendar. 

Take a moment today and revisit those New Year’s Resolutions. What do you want to accomplish this year? Schedule time to write, create art, or take that acting class. Then follow through with your plan. Don’t give up your creative time to do the laundry, have coffee with a friend, or even to take on a new client. Use the time to work on your highest purpose. Now that’s how to have a Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment